Source One Environmental supplies two Kryton Waterproofing Admixtures: Kryton Internal Membrane (KIM) for concrete structures and Krystol Mortar Admixture (KMA) for masonry mortars and concrete masonry units.
Both admixtures feature Kryton’s unique and proven Krystol® technology which reacts with un-hydrated cement particles and water to form millions of needle-like crystals. Over a period of weeks and months, these crystals grow, filling the naturally occurring pores and voids in concrete, and permanently blocking the pathways for water and waterborne contaminants. Any moisture introduced over the lifespan of the concrete will initiate crystallisation, ensuring permanent waterproofing protection.
- Contains patented crystalline technology
- Reactivates in the presence of moisture
- Lowers upfront building costs
- No additional construction time, reduces cost of maintenance and repairs
Kryton Internal Membrane (KIM)
Kryton Internal Membrane (KIM) is a dry powdered chemical admixture added to concrete during mixing.
It is used in place of externally applied surface membranes to protect against moisture transmission, chemical attack and corrosion of reinforcing steel.
In addition to filling the pores and capillaries of the concrete matrix with crystals, KIM enhances the natural hydration process by intensifying and prolonging the hydration of the cementing materials. This reduces the size and number of capillary pores within the concrete matrix, making it dramatically less porous, and improving strength and durability characteristics.
The benefits of KIM include:
- Can self-seal hairline cracks up to 0.5 mm
- Reduces concrete shrinkage and cracking
- Easily added directly to ready-mix truck or at batch plant
- Safe for contact with potable water – certified by NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 61
- Effective against hydrostatic pressure up to 140 m of head pressure
- Provides excellent resistance to waterborne chemicals such as sulfates, chlorides, and acids
- Compatible with self-compacting concrete (SCC)
Krystol Mortar Admixture (KMA)
Krystol Mortar Admixture (KMA) is added to mortar to increase its durability and life.
KMA removes the need for surface applied sealers and is easily incorporated into the existing mix-design and application processes.
The KMA product can be used in rendering and plastering mortar over concrete masonry walls or other prepared substrates, masonry mortar (i.e. that goes between masonry units) and concrete masonry units (i.e. bricks and blocks, if added during manufacture).
The benefits of KMA include:
- Increases the life of the mortar and decreases building maintenance and repair costs
- Simplifies installation, eliminating labour and shortening the construction cycle
- Increases durability and delivers a permanent solution with materials designed to last the lifetime of the mortar
- Maintains the original appearance and cleanliness for lasting building attractiveness