X-Seal is a single component, hydrophobic polyurethane sealant. It bonds any substrate and expands to fill and seal voids – in any conditions.
Originally, developed for the sealing of fluids and gasses in the mining industry, it has a wide variety of sealing and bonding applications. It is applied when assembling chambers, manhole sections and vaults, creating a super-strong, infallible and air-tight seal.
It can also be used for attaching or adjusting rings and manhole frames to the concrete slab.
- Highly expansive (20:1 expansion ratio)
- Flexibility accommodates movement while maintaining seal
- Extremely simple to apply
- Injects into the finest of cracks
- NSF 61-2007 approved for use with potable water
- Available in 300ml cartridges
- 2 years shelf life for an unopened container
1. Safety – Safety Glasses and Chemical Resistant Gloves should be worn when handling or using product.
2. Cleaning – The surfaces to be joined should be cleaned and free of loose debris.
3. Surface Preparation – Both surfaces should be wetted with fresh water. Surfaces should be wet but with no standing water.
4. Application – Product should be spread evenly over one of the surfaces to be joined. A brush or other means should be used to give an even distribution over the entire substrate.
Note: This product works best when kept at a temperature between 15⁰ and 25⁰ C. In cold weather conditions it is acceptable, but not necessary to warm the substrate with a torch or other means prior to the surface preparation step, as the length of time for the product to cure is inversely proportional to the ambient temperature as well as that of the material itself and the substrate. Generally, the colder the conditions, the longer the time to a full cure.
5. Pressure – During the curing process, pressure should be kept on the joint. If using to bond the pre-cast sections or adjustment rings of a manhole. the weight of the succeeding rings will be sufficient to ensure a tight seal.
6. Curing Period – Varies widely according to a variety of factors including ambient temperature, the amount of water present and the temperature of the material when applied. X-Seal will cure in as little as 15 minutes or as long as 24 hours, dependent on the above mentioned factors. Curing is complete when the material is dry and tack free. This can be determined by observing the excess foam on the exterior of the joint. As soon as cured, the assembly is ready to undergo vacuum or other testing as may be required.
Note: When using X-Seal to seal metal to concrete or metal to metal, it is still necessary to employ any mechanical means indicated by the manufacturer to join the components together securely. X-Seal is designed to seal such joints but not bond them.
7. Clean Up – Dispose of empty tubes or bottles in any approved construction waste container.